Select Page

I found this issue recently–at first I thought it was just my environment, but have confirmed it on a couple of different environments. When you are on a Win 7 box (and probably R2 as well), in GPMC and viewing the setttings of a GPO that had previously been created and contains software restriction policies, you will get an error when GPMC tries to display those SRP settings. Specifically, the error looks like this:


Software Restriction Policies
Software Restriction Policies/Security Levels
Software Restriction Policies/Additional Rules
The following errors apply to all of the above settings:
An unknown error occurred while data was gathered for this extension. Details: Unable to cast object of type ‘System.String[]’ to type ‘Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Reporting.Extensions.Registry.UnknownType’.

From the looks of it, it appears to be a bug in the way the Win 7 GPMC object model is parsing these settings. I’ve reported it to MS but wanted to let everyone know about it so you don’t think you’re going crazy. Not surprisingly, if I open the GP Editor on this GPO, all of the SRP settings appear fine. This is only an issue with the GPMC reporting of settings.


Group Policy, Windows 7, Software Restriction Policies